Pages

Better Brownie

Sat 26th Feb 2011

We just finished watching an episode of Junior MasterChef Australia Season 1 that's running on StarWorld. The second segment was about making Donahue's (not sure if i got the name/spelling right) four tier choc cake. I started craving for something sweet too and remembered I haven't used the unsweetened Cocoa Powder I bought and whipped out this BETTER BROWNIE, recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
2.In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir into the egg mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts, if desired. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
3.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.


I was nervous about making this brownie FROM SCRATCH. I had only ever made from a box and I LOVE Pillsbury's Double Choc and I'm scared if this would not be up to par. Only one way to find out!

I don't get why they ask you to mix diff items in diff bowls.

Clearly I'm running out of proper bowls for cooking.


Altogether now
It was pretty ehavy trying to whisk that mixture. I switched to wooden spoon.

In the oven you go.
Er... the texture seemed a bit rougher than the Pillsbury one I used to make. *Fingers crossed!*


20 minutes later...


HOORAYYYYYYYY It is as crispy as the brownie I like (I loathe the super gooey one)!!! But, if I hafta be honest, I could still taste the coarse sugar in it. Must tell Mum to buy fine ones instead to help dissolve easier?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

7 glasses of Juice:

The 6 of Us said...

Mmmm looks good :-) Usually for baking, would be good to use castor sugar (its finer than normal white sugar).

Jussaemon said...

Thanks! Yah I think I will buy that castor sugar tonight. As I'm planning to make sweet as well as savoury pancakes next.

Ashley said...

Oy! Nak sikit!

bermuda-buttercup said...

Thank you for this post. I was motivated to bake brownie from scratch! I did it. It was a success!! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Jussaemon said...

Ash ari tu aku sms/whatsapp kau to try did u get to? DAh habis wo! Oklah nanti aku buat lagi.

Jussaemon said...

Buttercup, it's quite easy and just as nice isn't it?? Shall keep trying new recipes and post it up here~

bermuda-buttercup said...

ok!! Thank you! Looking forward to your recipes.