Pages

SWPH's Potluck Lunch

Sat, 19th Feb 2011

Since mum & dad were going to Melaka for day trip, I took the opportunity to call my SWPH friends over. The last time we met was probably during Eid (around Aug?) last year.

I was very nervous because this would be the first time i played host single handedly and with a toddler in tow, a first time I'll be letting friends eat my cooking and I still had to manage Tufeil's non-BM afternoon nap. Thankfully I didn't hafta do any housework since Mum's called my aunty to clean the day before.

I was gonna make my signature dish = Beef Meatloaf + mashed Potatoes and Bread Pudding for dessert. To be on the safe side, I prepared what I could the night before: 1.5kg of mashed potatoes; browned the onion and fresh mushrooms, boiled carrots, blended bread to make breadcrumbs, and started to make the sauce to glaze on top of the meatloaf.. that's when I realised we ran out of tomato sauce! Imagine if I only realised at the last minute on the day itself and had to run out to the store while the guest was arriving?

In any case, the day started at 8.30am for me. After shower n bfast, i took Tufeil out for a little walk to the playground and to the nearby shop. The other thing I was nervous about was Tufeil screaming "nak keluar nak keluar" (wanna go out!) after being cooped up at home for too long, hence the walk. I didn't even hafta buy the tomato sauce cos mum bought otw home last night.

It was 11.15am, and I was on track w my cooking. The meatloaf is already in the oven and should be ready in the next 60min, then another about 10-15min for it to cool before slicing. Nisa said she would be arriving around 1.15pm, so I had enough time to put T to sleep without BF-ing. I considered to give him an off day today and not practise no BF, to make sure he can sleep so I have time to prepare the food in order. In the end, decided against it cause it'd be such a waste to let go of the "training".

I spent 1hr trying to get him to sleep. He didn't want me to carry and rock him like the previous weekend. I guess it was still too early and he wasnt not extremely exhausted that he didn't care. So we ended up watching youtube on the bed. I kept telling him "susu at night". and then twice, he was nearly there in dreamland when he turned towards me and then he remembered the milk and asked for it. When I said no he kicked up a fuss. Great. It was already 1pm but he still wasn't sleeping. I gave up and asked if he wanted to eat instead and he leapt out of the bed.

So when Nisa & son Sameer came and entertained Tufeil, I rushed to the kitchen to make the drinks, prepare cutleries and make the bread pudding in such a rush! Sorry!




Sameer Bhai entertaining T



We all got keychain and coasters from Australia courtesy of Fara

And Nisa hand-made pins / brooches and let us chose 2 each.

The cutest one. Bears for the girls.

The scene.


At first, Tufeil was anxious when the other kids played with his stuffs, he even asked for Siddiq's car but I told him, "That's not ours" and he would parrot after me. After awhile, he didn't seem to care.

Uzair riding Tufeil's precious car but he just looked on.

Boys jumping all around



Oops! Almost forgot to take the food picture~


Clockwise from Left: Nisa's Onion rice, chappati, Fara's cupcake, Sue's Chicken dish, my Beef meat loaf, Bread pudding and mashed potatoes.

Close up of the ayam masak merah.


After feeding the kids and ourselves, came the fun part: Chit chat. I was surprised that Tufeil didn't bother me at all except some parts when he asked for some chocolate snack and I had to change his diaper. I could sooo get used to this.


Much too soon it was already 6pm, and they started to say goodbye....


The 3 young boys

All of them.
Can't wait for the new addition to join the line up! *wink at Sue*


I convinced T to stay awake for a bit. Long enough to shower and have a bit more dinner before going to sleep at 7.30 and he only awoke at 8.30 the next morning (of course with 2 hour intervals)! Should i do this more often???


Next gathering: Mar sch holidays!!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

9 glasses of Juice:

Ashley said...

T was so cute in the last pic. hahahahahahaa.

And your beef meatloaf/mashed potato - pass!!!

Jussaemon said...

Hee =D thank you for BOTH compliments.

Nisa AK said...

Ur meatloaf and bread pudding were absolutely delicious! And no worries, we had a great time at ur place and the kids had all the freedom in the world to mess up ur living room! LOL

The bread pudding u packed for me, I ate it all by myself the next morning! No sharing :D

Jussaemon said...

I hope Sameer didnt feel too left out cos he seemed a bit bored being older than the rest. But he's a gem at entertaining T too.

Luckily, Fara's maid helped to straighten the living room area where the kids played, so i just had to wash the dishes after you gals left.

Anonymous said...

haha..definetely me n e kids enjoyed ourselves and ya meatloaf was supoper yummy:)Nisa, how come u get to bring home??hahaha..nvm, Jus our next outing i don't mind meatloaf packed in the aluminium foil:PPP

ps: we can kunyah2 the bread pudding too;)Lol!!!

Fara

Jussaemon said...

Fara.. Nisa bawak balik the bread pudding and kunyah2 that one. LOL

I got packed two meatloaf for u gals but nobody took! Chet!

Suryati Shariff said...

Lol yeah! I wanted some of the meatloaf too! hehe.. tak tau malu eh? :P but really it was mouth watering and love the sauce that went with it... Yummy!!! I'm craving for it now talking about it! hehe... Maybe march hols?? ;)

Jussaemon said...

Lol u guys dont mind if i make the same again for our next outing? I'm thinking... swimming??

Nisa AK said...

Nooo why wud we mind yummy food? :D

Sameer was ok, he's used to entertaining his younger cousins! Once he hit teenage years then maybe u gals wont get to see him with me anymore hehehe
Fara, i kind of slowtalk Jus into packing the breadpudding only for me :P :P