Pages

Customer Is Right

I can be such an obnoxious customer if and when I want to. Ask Zubair. He's seen the extent of my fussiness and demands on shopkeepers.


Z has the opinion that "If you're not seriously buying that thing, don't ask too much Questions." And he always Let It Be if let's say the vendor has made a mistake.


One memorable incident was at this Bubble Tea shop in Capitol Building.


We wanted to get Z his 3 times daily fix of Chai (tea with Milk). I ordered for him and i said this, "One of the $1.10 tea, please. The hot one."

The girl nodded. But I saw her taking the usual plastic cup they use for making ice blended stuffs and even put pearls in it! I kept quiet, i thought probably she's making for another person or something.

But when she DID give it to us, I said, "No no no... I said i want HOT tea."

She looked confused and at a lost of what to do.

Zubair interrupted us and said, "No, No... It's ok. Its ok." While whispering to me, "Poor her, she made it already."

I said, "But will you drink this?!?!?!" He looked reluctant, so i proceeded with my demand.

But the girl said, "No we can't do HOT tea... just warm."

I said, "What is this poster for then?" Showing an ad for HOt tea with Milk at just $1.20 or something.

Another guy, prolly her senior, overheard the commotion and approached us and i told him i wanted HOT TEA like the one on your poster!! He said, "Oh. We dont do that anymore."

At this stage, Zubair really insisted that its ok he'll just take whatever they can make.

I walked away rolling my eyes and said, "Whatever."

*******************

Incident Two : A Clothes Shop in Golden Landmark


I was browsing the shirts hung and the saleswoman approached me and asked, "Can i help you?"

Me: Just looking

W: Oh this one is nice

Me: Ahhh... *putting it across my shoulder and looking in the mirror* Yeah Nice... How much?

W: (I can't remember exactly but let's say....) $38

Me: Ohh... *Look at Z asking for approval then browse other shirts*.... Do you have shorter ones?

W: Oh you want shorter ones eh... How about this one?

Me: *shake head*

W: Or this?

Me: Nope. But just now one nice... $30 can?

W: No lah... $38 is already after discount...

Me: Oh ok lah then...

W: But if you want i can give you $35

Me: No its ok... Im looking for a short shirt anyway to wear with skirts.

W: No this one also nice with skirts....

Me: Nah...

W: Ok ok I'll give you $30 lah since the shop is closing anyway...

Me: *give it some thought...* Thanks but no thanks... I really want a short shirt.

W: It's rude (actually she said... Tak Baik / not nice) you know to do this to me... I gave you discount already but you still dont want.

Me: No i dont want. *and walked away*

Z: Yeah lah you... If you dont think you dont wanna buy then dont make her show u things lah

Me: I didnt ask her to, she came to me. Besides, i REALLY would rather buy a short shirt. I have a lot of those kinda long blouses already anyway.


Then there was this other incident at Cavana Causeway Point also...

Yeah I'm cruel. Prolly she's the one i have mistreated and therefore i'm facing hardship now. Yeah that must be it. Retribution.


Another thing is... I won't hesitate to tell a shopkeeper things like "No that one's not nice." or "I dont like this kind" or "Errrrr!!!!! *shaking head*" or whatever. My sis would always nudge me meaning to say, "Hey, its rude." But Hey, its just my opinion what. And after all, i'm the customer, I'm the one who's gonna part with MY money (ok spiritually its NOT MINE lah... but technically it is), shouldn't i have MORE say to what i wanna buy? Shouldn't i DECIDE for myself?


They didnt create the term SPENDING POWER for nothing.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 glasses of Juice:

Sandra said...

It is not rude or inconsiderate of you if they show a picture and you ask for hot, and if the sales person is aggressively trying to sell you something. As consumer/customer you have a RIGHT to get what you want and are spending money on. Some shop keepers try to bully one into buying something. You would do well in New York City!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's rude of you to walk away even after she has offered you the discounted price. I think I do that all the time too. sometimes just to see how overly priced the items in the shop are. And yeah, hubs sometimes nags about it too :)

- Kak Adik