Pages

Julissa.. What's in a name?

Have u ever tried to google Julissa?


Some interesting results:

1. Julissa the Singer/Actress during Black & White era. Spanish raised in Mexico.




2. Julissa Miro the model. Sounds like Spanish to me.


3. Julissa the current hot shot actress. Dominican. Host of BET, whatever it is.
Now... how did i get to be named Julissa?
1. My mother's starts w JU.
2. My two elder sisters' names start w JU also.
3. What other girl's name starts w JU?
4. My Aunty whose nickname is Lisa asked to add it after the JU
5. Result = JUlissa
Funny.
Then.. i went up in an islamic sch studying Arabic. At pri 5 or 6 i was ridiculed a lot bcos "julisa" comes from arabic word "jalasa" which means to sit. if you change the zabar/baris/vowel around, julisa means to be sit upon/didudukkan. just like Qara a = to read, Quri a = to be read. I grew up depressed with my name.
But that seems to change when my career kick started. Every time i answered a call and told them my name, they would say, "What a nice name!" No matter, Malay, Chinese, Indian, all said the same.
I still wasn't convinced. But i prided on the rarety of my name. Nobody else seemed to have the name. I've heard of Juslina, Juliza and bla bla bla but NEVER Julissa.
Then i went to Ubi Driving Centre. I complained to one of my instructors that the meaning of julisa is to be sit upon. He looked on it positively. He said, "Well, it can mean you are being put at a high place to sit." Ever since that, im not ashamed of my name anymore.
And then i happened to google myself and saw mexican/spanish/dominican beauties associated with that name and i felt happy.
And when i told Zubair the meaning of my name and where it came from, He took it positively too and related it to Majlis, a religious gathering.
A month ago, i went to a course at British Council. I told them to call me , "Juice". During a phone call practice, i answered a call and said, "Hello, Julissa here." At first, the lovely instructor didnt hear / catch what i said. In explaination, i told them i was saying my long name. When she gotta know she said, "Ok I'm a British and to a British that is a very lovely name and i'd want to hear it clearly." I'm flattered.
A colleague ever asked me, "Is it ok for Muslims to give non-muslim name to their children?" refering to my name. and i didnt know what to say. The circumstance was very unique. I doubt my parents/Aunty knew that the name Julissa existed and that it was a Christian name.
What do you think?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 glasses of Juice:

Hid said...

I didnt remember u being ridiculed cos of ur name? It wasnt us was it?

Anyhow, yeah i tink ur name's unique. Fit's,'Azma's & Juyda's also unique :).

Btw, how much r u paying for the British council english lessons?

Jussaemon said...

I remember our senior joking abt it to me when they learnt the fiil majhul (wait this term doesnt sound right, whatever.)

when WE learnt it, everybody laughed. :( ok lah but the taunt didnt prolong but it affected me.

It's free, babe. But its NOT english course, its a corporate training course. i went for SUCCESS: for secretaries and Admin professionals. hehehe

Hid said...

Opps. I cant remember man. I apologise *sheepish smile*.

Bagus nyer free. Kiter pun nak sign up ah..hehe

Jussaemon said...

eh alah its ok.. im over it already.

maksudnye the course is NOT free.. but my company sponsored. 2 days course is $560 (excl GST) but im sure Abbott can sponsor for such training also.

PLUS the British Council Professional development centre is just a few floors up from my building. so convenient sia.

Hid said...

Hep y u use the word 'sia'? not good. *hands on hip* + *sorry naggy ya*.

Ohh gotta pay. Tu ah terperanjat jugak asal ada course free sey..hehe

Jussaemon said...

oh Sia is a bad word? i tot its more like how malays use "sey"?

Hid... during tt course a lot of pple came from Tuas for tt course! so u shld try also!