Pages

Am i Really Thick Skinned?

I have always considered myself to be a shy person.

I'm not really a candidate to greet strangers warmly nor make easy friends at courses and the like... I dont chat freely with bosses... Say Hi to unknown neighbours etc...

However, i DO realise that after i started work some 7 yrs ago.. i began being a bit more outspoken. For eg: i'd be the one to place the food order for the family, calling customer service to ask status on whatever, etc...

The one day i was chatting with a group of ex colleague about going to the gym or dance classes when i got a shock. One of them said, "Yeah you thick skinned what..."

I asked why she thought so. She said bcos i dared to ask pple to give up seats in the public transport for me.

Hmmm come to think of it... Yeah i suppose that's a rather bold thing to do. I ask a couple of other experienced mother most said that they'd rather die standing than die from the embarassment of asking for a seat. So noble of them. Me im just so spoilt! It's all about ME ME ME and ME.

I Like dancing so i do it. I want slimming pills, so i shamelessly ask doctor to prescribe me. I want 2 Days MC, so i simply request it from the doc.

But you won't catch me telling my boss he has chilli on his teeth or asking for pay rise nor telling off a colleague for using me or whatever.

Conclusion: I'm MODERATELY thick skinned. depending on the situation. haha

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 glasses of Juice:

Anonymous said...

By definition, being thick-skinned means someone who is " largely unaffected by the needs and feelings of other people; insensitive."

I personally don't think asking someone in a public transport to give up their seat for a valid reason makes you thick skinned.

Similarly, voicing out your concerns and needs in an appropriate and polite manner, without causing any inconvenience to others, doesn't make you thick skinned either.

Sandra said...

I agree, that it is not thick-skinned, but more assertive. It took me years to get up more nerve to ask for things, but I believe it doesn't hurt to ask, all they can say is no, right? You will find yourself happier when you at least ask, but you prob. already know that!

Oh, no TV in bedroom. It's a Marriage-killer.

Nisa AK said...

oh man! is this abt wat i said yesterday? I said ur thick-skinned cuz u asked for 2 days mc :P :P
i didnt mean it in a bad way ok, it was more like my usual say-irritating-things-on-purpose-to-irritate-you. :D

Anonymous said...

think you are not thick skinned.

you're more selfish (as opposed to selfless) and shameless. hahaha!

Jussaemon said...

No Lah Nisa... it was a chat w ex colleague. but u reminded me of the topic to blog about haha

Jussaemon said...

Hmmm i think im selectively assertive. i SOOO can't be assertive at work. Funny.

But i know im definitely selfish. *wink at lady*