Pages

The Day When Tragedy Struck

29/1/08

Still in Pakistan. We were getting ready at midday.

I was leaning on a glass coffee table in the living room when it suddenly flipped over with the burden of my weight and crashed to the floor. I lost my balance and went on all fours. My left wrist got slashed by the broken glass!

Boy did i scream!

Ammi quickly wrapped my wrist with a dupatta (shawl) after pulling our the glass pieces! ARRGGHHHH... and suddenly neighbours were streaming in to help. A motorbike was already on the move. I was so distraught i had to be carried onto the bike. A neighbour was riding, me in the middle and zubair covered my back. We were all in a state of panic that we forgot MY dupatta AND my SHOES! Lucky for me i had 2 socks on.

He drove us to the nearest hospital, If im not wrong its called General Hospital? some 10min away. I got my head down all the way. Well i cldnt be taking in the scenery now, could i? All the way there, Z was crying and wailing, "Julissa, Are you ok? I love you. I love you. Please talk with me." i dont know why i was too stumped i cant utter a single word.

There were steps at the entrance of the hospital. Isn't that silly? But i suppose there should be ramp somewhere. I cldnt bear the thought of getting down the bike on my own, let alone walk! I was carried! At first, Z tried to carry me... i was slipping from his grasp, so somebody took over and then Z took me back in his arms. If i weren't bleeding profusely, i would have actually laughed.

i was carried to the Emergency Surgery Room. At that, i cried. it must mean its bad! I was laid down onto the center of 3 beds. You know what thought came to my mind? I was reminded of my Karachi friend's hospital bedroom when she delivered her second boy! It looked quite the same! Gosh!

I dont know what they were doing to my hand. It felt like they were poking INTO the wounds! I screamed and wailed at the top of my lungs. I think it was worst than a mother delivering a baby. It was pain like i've never felt before. I thought i could die. But i reminded myself tt pple commit suicide all the time and they are normally saved on time. Just what IF, im the unlucky 1% to die from this accident? Then that day at the airport would truly be the last time i see my family. Not that it would make any diff after i die.

Now, i felt they took my right hand also. What are they doing, i asked Z. Oh they are just putting on the drip.

Then they resumed work on my left wrist. Now i felt injections what i assume is the General anesthesia (however its spelt). i think they're gonna stitch me soon. So prolly before that was cleaning? Thank god i didnt understand the language, i would have prolly fainted if i do! How can i describe to you the pain when they stitched me up? My vocabulary escapes me. By this time, i was too tired to scream, i just said Allahhhh.... while Z hugged me tightly.. I took about 10min i think... it was prolly the longest, most painful 10min of my life.

I was all bandaged and was carried to another hospital bed in the ward. God, i hope i wont be hospitalised! But at least, now i get to claim my travel insurance. Yup, that was what i was thinking of even in that situation.

There were a lot of pple with me. By that time, Ammi was on my side. Salman came shortly after. and a score of male neighbours, i think they are Aunty Shazia's brothers. Z left to do the paperwork but i begged him to come back soon. In the meantime, i was urged to drink up 2 small cups of fresh apple juice cos i havent had any bfast and it was already 2pm? It was very nice but was too sickly (or was i being overdramatic?) to drink more nor eat at tt pt of time.

Soon, i was told i could go home. Ammi gave me her slippers, while she wore my uncle's shoes i think. This time Salman was riding w Z behind me of course. To my surprise, we didnt head home but to Appa ji's house, prolly bcos the broken glass hadnt been properly swept away. I was brought to Mami Nargis' bedroom. The thought of food was just revolting at that moment. But Ammi insisted i eat something. So they brought me apples. I had a lot of visitors while all the uncles were crying and apologising to me. Something about they fail to protect or take care of me. I thought thats quite uncalled for since it was an accident and unstoppable and beyond their control cos they weren't there. But still they felt most guilty. If anything, i felt very loved and cared for at that time. i can see what wonderful pple my Pakistani family are. They took leave from their work to see me and i was waited on hand n foot.

I hadnt done the "Big Business" for two days and suddenly i had to feeling to go. Why now out of all time? So Ammi brought me to the toilet and helped me wash and all. *blush*

I rested in bed for the next hour or two sleeping on and off. They asked me what i wanna eat, i tried to say porridge but they understood it as soft rice. When they served n Z tried to feed me but i just cldnt eat. I felt nauseous, n my tummy felt some cramps and i feel like going to the toilet again. But the thought of squatting already made me tired so i stopped myself. When i cldnt stand it anymore, i asked Z if i cld use this toilet chair i saw outside prolly for Appaji.

They brought the chair in. and Z propped me. Was it me or are the walls really swirling? Suddenly i was back on the bed but the blanket was suffocating me. My lungs are tight. Felt like i was being pulled but i didnt wanna go. Something like you're fighting NOT to doze in a lecture but your eyes are already closing. Then i remembered that i was at Appa ji's house that i just had an injury and i started to kick myself awake and cried in the most spolit-bratly manner. AHH AHHH AHHHHH!!

I discovered i was sprawled on the floor by the toilet door with the toilet seat in front of me. I must have fainted and death was trying to lure me! I cried and cried and cried. It was really very scary! I was brought back to the bed and was coaxed to eat but i still cldnt. Not after that nightmare. So they gave me some more apples to eat to fill in my tummy.

A few minutes later, i really cannot stop the feeling anymore but i sooooo dont wanna go to the toilet again so Ammi gave me a "shopper" or plastic bag to poop in! God i was embarassed but they consoled me n said its ok.. n i was too sick to care. and then i cried some more. Not only was my hand bandaged, but i was having diarrhea too! I didnt dare to sleep again after that.

We were waiting for the doctor to come to the house but he took so long we decided to go on our own. At first they already brought me to the door but suddenly they guided me back to the room. I said what's going on? They changed their mind to let me go out cos it was too cold. We waited a few more min before they decided to really go to the doctor this time. If it wasnt a serious situation, i wld have said its comical.

It was around 5pm when we reached the doctor. The clinic asst showed me to the bed. i sat on it then the bed broke!! OMG what obstacles!!! Then he brought me to lie down on a 3 seat bench and the doctor put me on drips. Z never left my side n held my hands all the time. Well alternated w Ammi... I dont know why but i felt safer to sleep.

2 hours after that i felt much better. The nausea's gone. but the pain on my hand's still there of course. But i can walk now without feeling dizzy. I was then brought to Salman's friend, Shahd's house on the bike again. We stayed here for the night bcos the clinic n the doctor's house is nearby in case of emergency.

I asked for porridge but again the msg wasnt delivered and i got chicken soup instead. But it was nice lah. The hosts were very nice pple. I cant imagine having guests at the last minute in s'pore.

Mamoo Afzal, wife and Nashmia came to visit me. At last, i get to meet him. He's the most conversant in English and i had talked with him several times before i came to pak. He was very apologetic. He said he was sorry he didnt meet me sooner bcos he thought let the other family meet me first n so on... and that he was sorry that we meet in this condition. I told him not to be sorry bcos i sincerely feel there's a hikmah behind this. Why, Z showed his love now more than ever before. Almost like he was afraid of losing me. This pain is nothing compared to what i've gained. :D


To be continued.....

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 glasses of Juice:

Anonymous said...

can imagine wat u went thru man.. and i hope u r Ok...

as for diarhhea tell me abt it, had it too when i first came down to khi and after dat.. was down wz high fever too and had to go to the ER at clifton medical services and was put on drip!

but now, my perot da seasoned...HAHA...kdg2 je.. :p

Wana

Anonymous said...

Hope you have recovered from your ordeal. Having traveller's stomach when you are injured must be very uncomfortable

Jussaemon said...

Heya Wana,
yeah i bet u can imagine with their medical facilities all.
Im still on medical leave. its been a week since i returned n possibly will be away from office for another week!

Jussaemon said...

Anonymous,
My stitches are out now but the wound is still a bit raw...
it WAS SUPER uncomfortable. Glad tt period is over.

narny said...

Hey ca... poor you to go thru that kind of ordeal.. but yeah you're right at least you see the hikmah behind it... lol..

narny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.